The history of Broughton-in-Furness dates back to the 11th Century, with the oldest building thought to be St Mary’s Church, first built in Saxon times. The focus of the town is the Georgian market square with its obelisk, erected to mark the jubilee of King George III in 1810. In Elizabethan times a charter was granted to hold fairs, and it is in the Square that the annual reading of the Charter takes place on 1st August.
Broughton was once an important market town, particularly for the woollen and cattle trades. Surviving from these days are the stocks for misbehavers, and the fish slabs nearby used to sell fish caught in the River Duddon.
Many of the houses around the Market Square are Georgian in date
In the corner of the square is a delightful cafe and on a nearby road is an excellent butcher , who makes their own bacon and sausage!