Built in 1874, the church of St Peter replaced an earlier chapel constructed in 1724-5. It was designed by Paley and Austin, the well known Lancaster firm of architects, and won a prize in a competition to design a church suitable for an alpine area. It is a grade II* listed building. A lych gate was added in 1914. The parish clock, which is situated in the tower, was installed in 1918 as a monument to the Fallen of the parish. It was completely renovated and electrified by public subscription in 2005. A set of tubular bells is housed in the tower, and these were refurbished and computerized in 2012. St Peter’s has a dedicated, hard-working congregation with attendance averaging about 18 from an electoral roll of 42. The congregation currently enjoy both BCP and CW services.
One of the graves in the graveyard belongs to the Finsthwaite Princess, Clementina Johannes Sobieski Douglas of Waterside, who was buried on 16th May 1771. It is widely believed she was the daughter of Prince Charles Edward, the Young Pretender, by Clemintina Walkinshaw.
1st Sunday: 9.30am Holy Communion CW
2nd Sunday: 11.00am United Service with Haverthwaite and Staveley-in-Cartmel – Holy Communion CW
3rd Sunday: 11.00am Holy Communion BCP
4th Sunday: 6.00pm Evensong BCP
5th Sunday: 11.00am United Service with Haverthwaite and Staveley-in-Cartmel – Holy Communion CW